November is National Crime Prevention and Community Safety Month and the HRM Public Safety Office is encouraging you to play a role in public safety.
Be the ‘eyes and ears’ in your neighbourhood You’re in the best position to know if there’s an issue impacting safety in your neighbourhood. Report a crime by calling:
● 911 - emergency or crime in progress
● 490-5020 (Halifax Regional Police) or 244-7208 (RCMP) - non-emergency requiring an officer to be dispatched
● 490-5016 (Halifax Regional Police) or 244-7208 (RCMP) - to file an incident report. You can also report minor crime on-line at https://www.halifax.ca/police/NonDispatch.
Report crime anonymously by contacting Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477), submitting a secure web tip at www.crimestoppers.ns.ca or texting a tip - Tip 202 + your message to 274637.
Be a good neighbour
Make your neighbourhood less vulnerable to crime by:
● getting to know your neighbours. Knowing who your neighbours are and what is going on in your neighbourhood will help you to identify suspicious activity.
● joining/forming a Neighbourhood Watch group in your neighbourhood. Neighbourhood Watch provides a means of reducing the opportunity for crime to occur through the active participation of citizens in crime prevention. Visit www.halifax.ca/Police/Programs/neighbourhoodwatch.html for more information on Neighbourhood Watch.
● finding ways to engage with youth in your community.
Visit myhrm.ca for more information on HRM’s Good Neighbours, Great Neighbourhoods initiative.
Volunteer with a crime prevention/public safety organization. For information on volunteering with Halifax Regional Police, visit www.halifax.ca/Police/getinvolved.html or call 490-6976. For information on volunteering with RCMP, visit www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ns/prog_services/community_policing-police_communautaire/volunteer-benevole/index-eng.htm .
Make crime prevention a daily practice
Staying one step ahead of criminals will reduce your risk of being a victim of crime. Visit www.halifax.ca/police/PublicSafety/CrimePreventionTips.html for simple crime prevention tips you can incorporate into your daily routine.
Keep apprised of crime trends in your area Learn about policing and public safety in our community through the following channels:
● blog - chat with HRM’s Public Safety Officer at http://spotlightonpublicsafety.wordpress.com
● Facebook - join Halifax Regional Police and Royal Canadian Mounted Police in Nova Scotia
● Twitter - follow HfxRegPolice and RCMPNS
● RSS feed - subscribe to police reports and/or media releases at http://www.halifax.ca/rss/index.php (Halifax Regional Police) or http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/rss/index-eng.htm (RCMP).
● City Watch - receive email or phone notifications of imminent dangers and current issues. You can sign up for City by sending an e-mail with your name, telephone number, mailing address and e-mail address to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit www.halifax.ca/police/PublicSafety/NationalCrimePreventionMonth.html for more crime prevention tips.