Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Great Gatsby....Wait...before you brush it off....

First, I want to acknowledge that I yes I do read, and I'm sure many of the finer parts of the books I read fly right by me without me noticing. However, I like what I like even if I can't exactly and concisely tell you why. When I read The Great Gatsby in High School, I remember thinking UGH here we go again. Another book that I HAVE to read (Which usually meant that I already hated it) Then I have to write the report answering questions, the answers to those questions will circle around what I mean without getting to the point. And if I recall correctly, that's pretty much how it went down. However, Something about The Great Gatsby has always stuck with me.I have read other books by Fitzgerald including the book he was writing when he died (The Last Tycoon). It ended almost mid sentence and I threw it across the room (LOL) but what was written, well, it was FANTASTIC.

I have picked up other Classic American Writers, including Hemingway (Farewell to Arms) is the only book of his I've read (and I do mean to fix that), and I absolutely HATED the ending. I felt like he cheated me. Much the same as when you're in school with no idea how to finish a story you've been writing for English class so you end it with "Then I woke up and it was all a dream" However, to that point, I enjoyed it.

But back to Fitzgerald, He and his wife Zelda have always live in my Imagination, I have her Biography, I've read it (it was given to me by a costumer when I was working at Happy Harry's in Burnside between Radio School and High School. He used to come in and all we'd talk about was The Great Gatsby), but so long ago now I forget most of it. This year....well, actually there has been LOTS of talk about Baz Luhrmann  recreating The Great Gatsby the movie is set to come out this Christmas (I wonder if it's too early to pre-buy my ticket) I will be there. I LOVED the Baz take on Romeo and Juliette and it took me a few times but I liked Moulin Rouge. I am excited to see that Luhrmann will do with this story.  Leo DiCaprio as Gatsby....that will be something to see. Here is the official Trailer........



Looks Delicious right?? I'm not really sure how to feel about it being in 3D.....

I found a scene from The Great Gatsby film that was released in 1974.


Now I need to watch this movie again!! Maybe even read the book......hmmmmm it is my turn to pick the next book for Book Club.....

No comments: